Here is a list of typical questions asked about photo ID.

Can I use a poll card as an ID?

No, it must be an approved form of photographic ID.

What if my appearance has changed on my photo ID?

If you look totally different on your ID, we recommend that you apply for a Voter Authority Certificate before the deadline. 6 working days before an election, to prevent you from not being able to vote.

My name is different on my photo ID to the electoral register, what should I do?

If in any doubt about whether your identification will be accepted, please contact the elections team.

Can I use an expired document?

Yes, as long as the photo is still a good likeness.

My passport and driving licence show the wrong address, is this ok?

Yes, as long as the photo is still a good likeness. The photo ID is to check your identity, not your address.

I don’t want to risk losing my ID, can I bring a photocopy?

Whatever form of ID you bring must be the original, no copies or electronic versions will be accepted.

What happens if I forget or lose my ID on the day?

If you forget to take your ID to the polling station you will have to leave and return with your ID to be able to vote. If you have lost your ID we may be able to help. Please contact us.

Can I get a Voter Authority Certificate on the day?

No, applications for a Voter Authority Certificate will not be accepted after the deadline, 6 working days before an election. So that it is received in time, please complete your application as soon as possible if you need a Voter Authority Certificate.

What if I lose my Voter Authority Certificate?

We recommend you keep your Voter Authority Certificate as safe as you would any other form of official identification. However, if this happens please contact us.

I want my identity checked in private, is this possible?

Yes, polling stations will have procedures in place for electors who wish to have their ID checked in private. This may be achieved in a variety of ways depending on the room being used, for example, by either using a privacy screen or a separate room. Please just let the polling station staff know.

Acceptable forms of ID

Voters must bring a suitable form of photographic ID to their polling station. Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • Passport issued by the UK, any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, a British Overseas Territory, an EEA state or a Commonwealth country
  • Photographic driver’s licence issued by the UK, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man, or an EEA state (including provisional)
  • Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
  • European Economic Area (EEA) photographic ID Card
  • UK Biometric Residence Permit
  • An identity card bearing the Proof of Age Standards Scheme hologram (PASS card)
  • A Blue Badge
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • A concessionary travel pass funded by HM Government or local authority (Freedom Pass, Disabled Person’s Bus Pass, Welsh or Northern Ireland travel card)

Only original documents are accepted; scanned images, electronic versions or copies will not be accepted – however, expired documents are accepted if the photo is still a current likeness.

Full details of the ID that will be accepted can be found on the Electoral Commission Voter ID page.

No suitable photo ID?

If you do not have any of the accepted forms of photo ID and want to vote at the polling station, you will need to apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC). This is a photographic identification document specific to the purposes of voting.

Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate

You can apply at any time, but please note that the deadline to apply for a VAC is six working days before an election.

Voters who do not produce a Voter Authority Certificate or valid identification will not be allowed to vote at a polling station.

Please do not apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if you already have an acceptable form of ID such as a passport or driving licence.


Hayes (Kent) Village Association

The Association was founded in 1933 to protect the interests of residents and preserve the local amenities.

Scroll Up


This website contains content supplied by third parties.  Information contained herein does not constitute or imply an endorsement or recommendation by Hayes (Kent) Village Association